Saturday, June 28, 2014

Grandmother's Helper - Naomi

I have just finished my first day as "Grandmother's helper" in the beautiful but baking hot, city of Washington DC. 

This morning we started out by walking to CVS where my Grandmother picked up some things and asked a salesperson if we could have some cardboard boxes. She is a great person but as my Grandfather says, knows nothing about logistics. She can no longer drive and we had a mile walk back to the house but she intended to bring 4 big cardboard packing boxes. She wanted to show me a boutique a little further downtown so she decided to leave the boxes and get them on the way back. She is a very proud and caring Grandmother (she says it was always her life's ambition to become one), so she introduced me to every salesperson and store clerk we encounter. Then, lucky me, she insisted on buying me a "Christmas present, birthday present, and thank you present" it's June! Any excuse to be a doting Grandmother.

When she had finished showering me with gifts, we returned to CVS where she realized that she couldn't find her credit card. I was sent back to the clothing boutique to ask after the credit card while she stood in the middle of CVS next to a pile of cardboard boxes. When I returned from my futile mission (strongly suspecting that the card is in her purse somewhere) she was trying to order mothballs on the phone in the middle of the CVS checkout area next to a pile of empty cardboard boxes. I stood and patiently helped her dig through her purse until, surprise, we found the credit card! Then I reassured her  that I could in fact order her spandex tights and mothballs online, she tells the customer service person on the phone who has been trying to explain this  to her for 15 minutes that her granddaughter can order them online. We walked back home, me laden with boxes, she carrying a paper bag of clothes and telling me about the style of each house we passed.

In the afternoon we helped my Aunt clean up her apartment then we all went out to lunch together before dropping her at the airport. In a few hours my Grandparents will go to a dinner party and I will be left home alone for a well deserved rest and some netflix.

Au revoir & Carpe Diem - Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment